Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The day I met...wait for it...MOHANLAL!






May 8th 2013.
It was the kind of day you would wear a loose fitting cotton dress and soak in the summer sun. All that changed after a phone call from a dear friend of mine, my life would change forever. ( the word 'exaggeration' suggests itself right now).

I couldn't  believe my ears! I tried to catch a breath, I yelled into my mobile "Really? You can do that? I can come?". My friend being the angel she was said, "Of course! Otherwise you'd kill me". Come to think of it, I certainly would have, otherwise. After I was reminded my by body that respiration was inevitable to survive, I breathed in an immeasurable amount of air.

Meeting him was not a big league dream, not the one that did not let you sleep. It was what I would like to call a siesta dream, a nice 'if this happened, it'd be cool' kind of a dream. But realization of dreams, however insignificant, can be fulfilling.(Mind you!Not that this was insignificant.)
I have grown up watching him on the big screen. Al Pacino of Malayalam movies is what hardcore fans call him. This man played a huge part in upholding Malayalam movies and  establishing the 'Golden era of Malayalam Cinema'. Naturally, I loved him.

Okay where was I?
The first task at hand was to choose a dress to fit the occasion. Alright I agree that wasn't a big league problem , but I wouldn't want him wondering why I turned up in rags!
So I wore a pleasant looking Salwar kameez and set out on a journey that would be etched in my memory forever( again, exaggeration).

We reached a picturesque farm house where the movie set was made. We walked in anxiously when some guards stopped us. We told the producer's name like we were instructed to, and viola we were in! No actors had arrived at the set so we took a tour of it. It was beautiful, with fancy paintings and furniture. After waiting for a brief 20 minutes I saw a crowd gather at the entrance...'Could this be it?', I thought...

A simple man wearing khaki shorts,a random t shirt and face full deep in beard walked in. The humbleness in his personality struck me.There was the man himself, standing in front of me at arm's length. I wanted to jump and scream but the little sense left in me held me back.

A few minutes passed,I did not approach him. I have to admit the guy was intimidatingly humble(if that makes any sense at all).Words almost failed me but I managed to grab composure and say "I amm a big faan". Damn too cliched..but don't blame my brain, it was a little unnerving. The next thing I said to him was a piece of made up nonsense...I said "My grandmom has sent special regards, she loves you" . But hey,that worked. His face brightened up."Hurrayy!",I thought!
Next thing that I thought was appropriate was to click a picture.Instantly I dug up my cell phone and as if it were cue, the producer offered to click a picture.
Not to mention I fell in love with the picture and it was to stay as my display picture, FOREVERRRRR.

Mohanlal ,the darling of Malayalam cinema was in front of me, I enquired about his current and upcoming projects. He told me that he was in for a shooting for a kannada movie, Mytri (which has released in Bangalore this year). Lovely I thought. After a few minutes of interaction, we reached a deadlock. I had nothing else to ask him, he was shy guy ( Can you believe it? CID Ramdas- a nonchalant, self effacing guy?)  I graciously let the man do his job and walked away. I had a lot of questions to ask..but none of it really materialized. I was so full enthusiasm that I forget all of them.
(And I was aspiring to become a journalist,ha!).

After another hour or so, I waved a goodbye at him, (not that he was looking) and left.
Like I already mentioned, this day would be etched in my memory forever. (unless dementia plays villain)

Lalettan Zindabad. (hashtag malluswag).

No comments:

Post a Comment